Andrew Neil opens up about ‘good discussions’ with Piers Morgan about signing for GB News

Piers Morgan would be 'asset' to GB News says Andrew Neil

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Andrew Neil, 72, admitted that he and Piers Morgan, 56, have been in touch throughout the process of setting up the latest news broadcaster on the streets, GB News. Despite having his reservations as to whether the former Good Morning Britain host will take another breakfast show job right now, Neil remains adamant GB would be his first choice.

We’re in good discussions, we continue to stay in touch

Andrew Neil

In a new interview, the Scottish journalist revealed he had chatted with Piers about the option of presenter while recruiting some of the biggest names around for his news channel, which will air on Freeview, Freesat, Sky, YouView and Virgin Media.

The channel will not provide rolling news, but instead is expected to be a mix of news, opinion, and debate.

And as breakfast TV is arguably the most fought-over ratings battleground, Piers would fit right in.

“Yes, we have had conversations, but not about breakfast,” Neil said of their chats.

“All my indications are that Piers doesn’t want another breakfast show.”

He added to Radio Times: “But I think if he does any more British news TV it’s more likely to be with us than with anybody else.

“We’re in good discussions, we continue to stay in touch and he knows that we feel that he would be a great addition to the line-up.”

The highly-anticipated presenting line-up for GB News has had the public on high alert to see what other big names would be joining the all-star cast.

So far, Neil has managed to bag the likes of Simon McCoy from BBC News, Kirsty Gallacher and Alastair Stewart.

And Piers seemed to be next on his list following his sensational departure from GMB back in March.

It was claimed that the outspoken host was in a “bidding war” between GB News and Rupert Murdoch’s upcoming “opinionated” News UK TV and Fox News, with offers said to have reached “£10million”.

At the time, a source told The Mirror: “He has had millions of pounds worth of offers.

“He turned GMB into a ratings hit, it seems everything he touches turns to gold.

“People love his honesty, even the people that don’t like him, they can’t help but be interested in what he says.”

The insider added: “Some of the offers have hit the £10million mark, and it seems he may be able to land exactly what he wants.”

Piers also posted an article on the rumoured bidding war on his Twitter on Sunday evening and cheekily responding: “Only 10?”

He also address the rumours after journalist Alex Webb messaged the former GMB presenter with the suggestion.

He wrote: “Maybe [Piers Morgan] would help GB News reach a massive audience, but his £2m paycheque would take a huge chunk out of the station’s tightly managed budget.”

Piers was quick to reply, with some heavy sarcasm.

He penned: “It would take a much bigger chunk than that… (said ‘sources close to Morgan’).”

Andrew’s full interview is available to read now in Radio Times.

Source: Read Full Article