R Kelly is said to be disappointed at the lack of support from his music industry peers and realises ‘no one is coming to save him’ as his sex trafficking trial begins.
The I Believe I Can Fly singer is facing multiple allegations that he sexually abused women and girls for decades. His trial will begin on August 18 with jury selection completed last week in New York.
Kelly, 54, has vehemently denied the allegations.
Earlier in August, the disgraced singer’s lawyers reportedly filed documents explaining that he couldn’t afford to pay for court transcripts necessary in aiding his defence team.
‘His funds are depleted,’ his lawyer Devereaux Cannick told the court according to the Associated Press.
In the two years since Kelly’s arrest, there have been multiple reports of his financial struggles largely caused by his ongoing legal issues and inability to perform.
Now, it’s been revealed that the R&B singer hoped his celebrity friends would step in with money but many have distanced themselves in light of the serious allegations.
A source told Metro.co.uk: ‘R Kelly had been holding out for industry support but now realises that no one is coming to save him.
‘He believed that some of his collaborators would support him financially but no one wants to be linked to him now that details of the allegations have been publicised.’
The insider added that R Kelly understands that his legacy, regardless of the outcome of the trial, has been tarnished and is unlikely to ever recover.
‘R Kelly is aware that his fan base has turned on him and that his time in the music industry will go down as one of its darkest chapters,’ they said.
‘At one point he felt he would have his fans’ support but he now knows that ship has sailed.’
During the trial, which begins on Wednesday, prosecutors are expected to argue that the Grammy-winning singer ran a criminal scheme in which women and underage girls were recruited to engage in sexual activity with him.
Kelly, full name Robert Kelly, was first arrested on sex-related charges in 2002 after a video, allegedly showing him having sex with a 14-year-old girl, was sent to the Chicago Sun-Times, but he was acquitted in 2008 after lengthy delays.
The musician is currently facing accusations of sexual exploitation of children and has pleaded not guilty to several charges in the states of Illinois, New York and Minnesota.
Metro.co.uk has reached out to R Kelly’s lawyers for comment.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Source: Read Full Article