Queen Elizabeth II is set to begin an eight-day period of mourning following the death of her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who according to an official announcement by the royal family, “passed away peacefully” at the age of 99 on Friday, April 9, at Windsor Castle (via NBC News).
As the Daily Mail reports, Her Majesty is not expected to carry out any of her usual royal duties during this time of mourning. As a sign of respect, affairs of state will also be temporarily paused and laws will not be given the Royal Assent during these eight days. Buckingham Palace officials are now reportedly making arrangements for the funeral of Prince Philip, which is expected to take place at Windsor Castle, adhering to his final wishes.
Per the Metro, the Queen will resume some royal duties following the funeral ceremony and will continue to mourn privately as the entire royal family begin an official grieving period lasting for 30 days.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson paid tribute to Prince Philip
As the BBC reports, the Duke of Edinburgh was the longest-serving consort in British history, and died at the royal family’s residence in Windsor where he returned to live following a month-long stay in hospital earlier this year.
Announcing his death, the Palace said in a statement,”It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.” The statement concluded, “The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”
In the wake of the sad news, Prime Minister Boris Johnson paid tribute to the late royal. Speaking from Downing Street, Johnson said the Duke had “inspired the lives of countless young people,” adding Prince Philip had also “earned the affection of generations here in the United Kingdom, across the Commonwealth, and around the world.”
Source: Read Full Article