I'm a vet – warning to dog owners over toy that left pooch fighting for life | The Sun

A VET has issued a warning to dog owners about the potential life-threatening dangers of their toys.

Toys are normally harmless fun for most pets, but a vet has warned owners to keep a close eye on their beloved furry friends.

Dr Sheldon Steinmetz issued the warning after a five-month-old puppy – Rango – ate an entire rope toy.

The Labrador was left in a critical condition and had to have surgery to remove 70% of his small intestine.

Dr Steinmetz told the Mirror: “Rango had tragically been the victim of an unattended rope toy which he, as a young pup, decided to eat.

"This is one of the most devastating things that a dog can swallow; once the strand of rope gets into the small intestine it is almost impossible for it to pass naturally.

read more fabulous

Young girls need to leave binge drinking in the past, says Sarah Cawood

Docs gave me shock diagnosis after at-home mani kit left my hands in agony

“I would say that he had a 15% chance of survival due to how sick he was and the damage that had been done.”

Katie McCaul, nutritionist at Tuggs, has urged pet owners to use safe toys for their dogs.

She said that dogs have a natural instinct to chew and that swallowing small toys is not uncommon.

She urged owners to monitor their pets for things like diarrhoea, vomiting and loss of appetite.

Most read in Fabulous


Harry and Meg dealt major security blow as US think tank slams couple


Woman left unable to talk properly after her new dentures arrive totally uneven


I’ve got a tummy and love New Look’s new range – it really flattens mine


Woman shows off her new tattoo but misses a MAJOR mistake

Rango was able to make a full recovery despite initially struggling to eat.

This comes after a vet revealed the five things he would never do with his dog.

Another vet revealed the dangerous reason why people shouldn't keep collars on their dogs indoors.

Source: Read Full Article