Shocking video shows exactly what happens to a child’s insides when they swallow a button battery

A SHOCKING video has revealed the horrific damage that could be caused to your child if they swallow a button battery.

Button batteries are used to power a number of things in the home – from toys and key fobs to remote controls.

But as they are a similar size and shape to some sweets, they can be easily swallowed by curious children – and the consequences can be very serious as one mum has proven.

Paramedic mum Nikki shared a video on her Instagram account, Tiny Hearts Education, where she revealed the damage the battery caused to a hot dog in just two hours.

In the clip Nikki, from Australia, places the battery into the flesh of the sausages and leaves them for a couple of hours.

After two hours, Nikki films the charred and blackened insides of the sausage representing the similar damage that could be caused to your little one's stomach if they swallowed one.

What to do if you suspect your child has swallowed a button battery

For more information and advice visit the Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT) website.

  • Take them straight to the A&E department at your local hospital or dial 999 for an ambulance.
  • Tell the doctor there that you think your child has swallowed a button battery.
  • If you have the battery packaging or the product powered by the battery, take it with you.
  • Do not let your child eat or drink.
  • Do not make them sick.
  • Trust your instincts and act fast.

Nikki also placed a battery in a second sausage, before applying 10ml of honey every ten minutes which appeared to reduce the damage caused by the battery.

However, there is no medical evidence to support this and you should always phone 999 immediately if your child has swallowed a button battery.

According to The Battery Controlled campaign, when a coin-sized lithium button battery gets stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electrical current.

This then causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the oesophagus in as little as two hours.

If this has happened to your child, they will likely start coughing, drooling or complain about discomfort.

    Source: Read Full Article