WHETHER you’re graduating in physics or fashion design, every subject goes unapologetically glamorous on graduation day.
The day is here and it’s time to take it from tracksuits on late night library sessions to stand out glam on stage – but what do you wear to graduation?
University graduations in Britain have become similar to school proms with their immaculately smart dress codes.
People organise their outfits months prior, get their hair and nails done especially, and generally go all out.
It’s funny because your black gown and mortarboard (the traditional hats) cover up a lot of your outfit – but that doesn’t take away the importance of what you wear.
Smart dress codes are always a tricky endeavour, yet with your graduation, there’s also the added pressure of your photo taking centre stage in your parents' living room. So let’s make it a good ‘un.
To help inspire you, we’ve styled some gorgeous outfits that you can buy now. Enjoy.
1. Pretty In Pink
Your graduation is the perfect excuse to splash out on a stunning dress like this one from Reiss – block colours stand out beautifully under dark robes.
Tap into current trends with tonal looks – these marshmallow strappy heels will create the illusion of longer legs.
Finish off with some minimalist jewellery and a bag big enough to fit your lippy in.
- Droplet Hoop Earrings, £17 from &Other Stories – buy here
- Paola Halter Neck Cocktail Dress, Coral, £90 from Reiss – buy here
- Heritage Pop Logo Mini Crossbody, £48 from Guess – buy here
- Pale Pink Suedette Ankle Strap Stiletto Heels, £16.99 from New Look – buy here
2. Lady in Red
Knock ‘em out when you collect your certificate in this flared red number.
It's the perfect dress to go from graduation to a garden party sipping champers and cocktails.
From the lace embroidery to the rich scarlet hue, this Coast dress does all the talking so simply team it with some staple black strappy heels, a black gemstone ring and one of those trendy pearl bags everyone’s obsessed with.
- Coast Red 'Flori' Lace Dress, £169 from John Lewis – buy here
- Office Heart Two Part Sandal Heels, Black Nubuck, £65 from Office – buy here
- Clear Beaded Tote Bag, £16 from Skinny Dip – buy here
- Hex Insert Ring, £6 from Urban Outfitters – buy here
3. Suit Chic
You don’t have to wear a dress on graduation to look elegant – in fact, if you choose trousers you’re way more likely to wear the outfit again.
White on white is a pristine choice that will underpin a dark gown perfectly.
Add some sparkle in the form of jewellery and splash of colour with your shoe choice – we’re obsessed with these rainbow Kurt Geiger mules.
- Side Tie Satin Blouse, £49 from & Other Stories – buy here
- Claudia Bradby Essential Moving Freshwater Pearl Chain Necklace, white, £75 from John Lewis – buy here
- Silver Diamante Chain Pouch Bag, £22.99 from Quiz – buy here
- Topshop High-Rise Wide-Leg Crepe Trouser, £20 from Selfridges – buy here
- Broadwick Stripe in Dark Blue, £119 from Kurt Geiger – buy here
4. Summer Florals
A lot of university graduations in the UK happen during summer, so run with the sun and flaunt some florals.
It’s best to play it safe with prints though (those photos will last a lifetime, you don’t want the dress to date), for fear of looking too fussy.
This bardot midi from Pretty Little Thing is dotted with delicate yellow meadow flowers – draw attention to the design with shoes in a matching colour.
The best bit about a budget dress? It saves more money for a statement accessory, AKA Sophia Webster’s butterfly pouch.
- Sophia Webster Flossy Butterfly Leather Pouch, £206 from MatchesFashion – buy here
- John Lewis & Partners Cubic Zirconia and Teardrops Glass Drop Earrings, Silver, £16 from John Lewis – buy here
- White Printed Plunge Bardot Midi Dress, £18 from Pretty Little Thing – buy here
- Adrianna Courts in Yellow, £120 from Boden – buy here
What kind of shoes do you wear to graduation?
We know that it can be tricky to decide what kind of shoes you should wear on your big day and graduation ceremony.
Don't forget that you have to feel comfortable and try to match the rest of your outfit.
Look out for block heels, court shoes and sandal heels.
Check out our suggestions above to help you in deciding what to wear to look fab even under a graduation gown.
Enjoyed our article on what to wear to graduation? You might also like our roundup of the best outfits to wear to a christening.
Check out more of our selected content in our dedicated instructional guide section here.
We've created Sun Selects section to help you to find the best price when shopping around the web.
Source: Read Full Article