England and Ireland FA in joint bid for the 2030 World Cup

‘England and Ireland FAs to stage joint bid for the 2030 World Cup’ after feasibility study gives both nations confidence of hosting tournament

  • England and Ireland are set to stage a joint bid to host the 2030 World Cup 
  • Research has been conducted into the feasibility of hosting the tournament 
  • Both nations are reported to hold high confidence of a successful bid 
  • An obstacle could be an alteration of FIFA’s rotation rules to accommodate China

England and Ireland are set to stage a joint bid in hope of securing the hosting of the 2030 football World Cup, with the British and Irish FA setting down plans. 

The respective Football Associations of the two nations will come together and hold strong confidence that the bid will be a success, as report the Times.

A study has been led by the English FA into the feasibility of the bid, as is reported to have been presented to other football associations prior to the Euro 2020 group stage draw on Saturday.

The English and Irish Football Associations are preparing a bid to host the 2030 World Cup

Officials are said to have deemed the plans ‘very credible’ and plans will be stepped up in preparation at a greater scale.

The combined bid would see matches played across Britain, with Cardiff, Glasgow and Dublin each reported to feature heavily.

The showpiece final of the tournament would be expected to play out at Wembley. 

A likely launch of the bid is said to be expected in early 2022, if collective government support is confirmed.

Wembley would be expected to host the showpiece final, should the bid be successful

The funding body UK Sport, which advises the government on which bids to support, said last year that securing the 2030 tournament would be a ‘crowning achievement’. 

At this early stage one possible obstacle to a British and Irish bid would arrive if FIFA alter their rotation policy in order to accommodate China.

Should the rules be changed to allow China to bid for the tournament — it is widely accepted that other bids would have little chance to compete and win the right to host. 

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has, on several occasions previously, talked up the possibility of China hosting the tournament.

The Times reports however states the prospect of the World Cup going to China appears to have receded in the face of European opposition.

In recent years China has invested millions in its football programmes and academy systems across the country, along with the growth of the Chinese Super League.




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article