Manchester City confirm THREE new coronavirus cases, hours before they play Manchester United, with Scott Carson and Cole Palmer joining six other players in testing positive
- Kyle Walker, Gabriel Jesus and Eric Garcia have already tested positive
- Now they have been joined by veteran Scott Carson and youngster Cole Palmer
- The news comes as a blow to Pep Guardiola for the latest Manchester derby
- Figures released Tuesday showed 40 new positive tests in the Premier League
Manchester City have confirmed Scott Carson, Cole Palmer and one staff member have tested positive for coronavirus, taking cases at the club over the last fortnight up to 17.
The new cases demonstrated the worsening status of the Covid-19 crisis at the club, with the veteran goalkeeper, young midfielder and staff member joining the six other City players and three members of staff who have already contracted the virus.
The news comes just a few hours before Pep Guardiola’s men take on city rivals Manchester United in the Carabao Cup semi-finals, and a day after the latest Covid figures released on Tuesday showed cases across the Premier League doubled with a new record of 40 new positive tests.
Scott Carson (left) and Cole Palmer are among three new Covid cases at Manchester City
The news comes as a further blow to City boss Pep Guardiola ahead of his side’s League Cup semi-final against Manchester United
A club statement said: ‘Manchester City FC can confirm that Scott Carson, Cole Palmer and one member of staff have tested positive for COVID-19.
MAN CITY’S 17 COVID CASES IN 14 DAYS
Pre Newcastle: 2 first-team players plus 2 back room staff
Pre Everton: 3 first team players
Pre Chelsea: 1 first team player, 1 academy, 1 back room staff
Pre Man United: 2 first team players, 1 backroom staff
Manchester City Women: 4 players
‘Both personnel will now observe a period of self-isolation in accordance with Premier League and UK Government protocol on quarantine.
‘Everyone at the Club wishes Scott, Cole and all of our other colleagues a speedy recovery ahead of their return to work, training and competition.’
City saw their festive period severely disrupted by a Covid outbreak in the squad, which led to their Premier League fixture at Everton on December 28 being postponed.
Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus were the first two players to return positive tests followed by three more within the squad ahead of the trip to Goodison Park.
City’s training ground was closed for a deep clean as a result and more rounds of testing carried out.
Testing following the victory at Chelsea at the weekend showed a positive for centre-back Eric Garcia, but the Spaniard was sidelined anyway and wouldn’t have made the squad for the trip to Stamford Bridge.
Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker were the first to test positive, followed by three others
Walker and Jesus are said to have come out of quarantine on Tuesday but are unlikely to feature at Old Trafford.
Four Premier League fixtures have been postponed as a result of Covid outbreaks so far this season. Newcastle United called off their trip to Aston Villa last month after a spate of positives within their squad and staff.
City’s game at Everton was the second and an outbreak at Fulham this week saw the postponement of their visits to Tottenham and Burnley.
The five were then joined by City defender Eric Garcia following subsequent testing
Speaking ahead of the game which could see his side join Tottenham in the League Cup final, Guardiola admitted he had concerns about overstretching his squad.
‘We don’t have many players,’ he said. ‘To play one or two games is OK but if this sustains for a long time and I can only use 14 or 15 players it will be more difficult.
‘The most important thing is that the guys who have Covid can recover well and the guys handle it well and try to avoid it as much as possible.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article