Charlie Simpson's son rushed to hospital on holiday as Busted star shares warning to parents | The Sun

BUSTED star Charlie Simpson's son Jago has been rushed to hospital on holiday abroad.

The musician shared a photo of his four year old in a A&E and revealed he suffered "secondary drowning".


Secondary or dry drowning occurs when the child inhales water while swimming, causing the vocal chords to spasm and contract.

The rare occurance can be fatal and symptoms occur within one to 24 hours after being in the water.

Charlie, 37, shared his experience to warn other parents, writing on Instagram today: "Hi all. I wanted to share a terrifying experience we had recently with my youngest son Jago, in the hope that if it helps just one person avoid a similar situation, it will be worth it.

"We were on holiday enjoying a morning in the pool. Jago is a strong swimmer for his age and he was swimming under water but suddenly came up spluttering and coughing.

"At no point was he left unattended, It was momentary, nothing seemingly unusual for kids to experience. We got him out and he seemed fine and happy and was completely normal for the rest of the day.

Read more on Busted

Busted star Matt Willis ‘unrecognisable’ as he appears on Celebrity Gogglebox

McFly star Harry Judd son, 3, rushed to hospital after bad reaction to booster jab

"At dinner he became very lethargic and went to sleep in my wife’s arms. After dinner he suddenly woke up and started projectile vomiting.

"We called a doctor immediately who initially diagnosed it as as food poisoning and advised that we put Jago to bed in our hotel room and keep an eye on him.

"Before the doctor left, I suddenly remembered Jago coughing in the pool that morning and I remembered reading about a condition called secondary drowning, so I relayed it to the doctor.

"After hearing this, his demeanour changed and he told us to go to A&E straight away."

Charlie said it took them an hour to travel to hospital during which time Jago’s condition deteriorated.

Most read in Celebrity

LITTLE MINX

Jesy Nelson stuns in tiny denim bra as she heads for dinner with friends in LA

CUT-PRICE SPLICE

Inside J-Lo and Ben Affleck's cheap wedding with old dress & weird prep

LEGEND LOST

Mickey Rooney's eldest son and original Mouseketeer dies aged 77

SHE'S REAL

JLo goes makeup-free and naked in bed after surprise wedding to Ben Affleck

The dad-of-two continued: "He seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness.

"He was rushed through to have CT scans and X-Rays and to our absolute horror, we were told that he had water in his lungs and was minutes away from pneumonia.

"Jago was diagnosed with secondary drowning.

"He spent the next three days in hospital and I’m so thankful for the amazing care he received. It was the worst thing we have ever experienced.

"The scariest thing of all, is that had we not taken him to hospital when we did, the outcome could have been very different.

What is secondary drowning?

When a person gets into difficulty in water, water may enter their mouth. Inhaling deeply – through panic or desperation for breath – will cause water to enter the windpipe and lungs.

Sometimes, when water hits the vocal cords, they snap shut – called a laryngospasm.

When this happens, the victim could die because they cannot get enough oxygen or inhale water into the lungs. But sometimes they are saved during this process, and may appear to recover.

The impact of their drowning experience may not become clear until later.

In the event that a lot of water gets into the lungs, it can irritate the lining of the lungs and cause fluid build up ― a condition called pulmonary oedema.

Pulmonary oedema tends to display signs within one day after inhaling water, with symptoms continuing to get worse, says the British Red Cross.

Clinical First Aid Manager Ken Fraser, said: “Oedema can take a few hours to fully develop and worsen.“Whether due to oedema, or simply the volume of water inhaled, it reduces the available area for the lungs to oxygenate the blood and remove waste products.”

Pneumonia may develop over two to three days and is the result of bacterial infection in the lungs.

Fraser said: “The perfect environment in the lungs can lead to an infection taking hold and becoming severe.

“In this case, there may be few initial symptoms other than knowing something has happened involving a water accident but depending on how long the infection takes to develop people can see rapid worsening in 24 – 48 hours.”

The general term for a child becoming sick or dying after swimming used to be called “dry” or “secondary” drowning.

Those terms have been ditched by doctors and the World Health Organization in recent years.

Fraser said: “Quite simply, drowning is where someone has breathing difficulties after a water incident.

“In most cases this is during or immediately after the incident, but in some, very rare cases, it’s later.

“This can be as a result of becoming submerged whist swimming in the sea, a lake or a river or if a young baby or child has gone under water in the bath.

“It really applies to any incident where water has prevented someone from breathing, or water has entered the lungs.”

He said brand new symptoms that develop days after swimming are extremely unlikely to be related. But if your child has inhaled water, you should keep an eye on them closely.

Even if they appeared fine after initially getting out the water, you should seek medical attention if they start showing the following symptoms:

Coughing
Chest pain
Difficulty breathing (such as the space between their ribs or collarbone drawing in, or flaring nostrils)
Feeling very tired
Confusion
Vomiting

"After doing a lot of research, secondary drowning is seemingly quite rare but even so, not talked about. It takes less than half a glass of inhaled water to drown. Symptoms can start as long as 72 hours after the event which can make them hard to diagnose. These include vomiting, fever, laboured breathing and lethargy.

"I truly hope no one ever has to experience this but I hope to be able to raise some awareness of this frightening condition in case they do. x"

Charlie's fans shared their horror and many thanked him for relaying what happened.

Read More on The Sun

Woman shares easy hack to cool your house during the heatwave

My wedding dress cost £3k & I hated it – I cried so hard my lashes fell off

One person said: "😢 Great Post to raise awareness 👏 wishing him a speedy recovery ❤️"

Another wrote: "Oh gosh how terrifying for you all, so glad he got rushed in and treatment as quick as possible…hope he's doing good ❤️"

Charlie married wife Anna in 2014 and they also share son Arlo, seven.

He shot to fame in Busted in 2002 with the song What I Go To School For.

    Source: Read Full Article