KATE GARRAWAY'S husband Derek Draper contracted coronavirus in March 2020 which left him critically ill.
He spent over a year in hospital, before finally returning home to be cared for by his GMB star wife and their children.
What is the latest on Kate Garraway's husband Derek Draper?
In her memoir Kate Garraway: The Power of Hope, the presenter stated she had received support from a member of the royal family amid her husband's Covid battle.
On October 20, 2021, while attending an awards ceremony for Prince Charles' Trust Awards, she revealed that the prince of Wales was the royal to have extended a helping hand.
"You might not remember but you were very kind to me because my husband got very sick with Covid after the last Prince's Trust Awards", Kate told the Duke of Cornwall.
"You wrote to me and gave me help from your doctors, so thank you very much… and he did improve."
Speaking openly about her husband's long recovery, Kate gave a painful update on his health back on October 9, 2021, opening up about missing the "small things."
During an interview with The Telegraph, the former political advisor claimed that Derek was still sleeping 20 hours a day.
"It's not been easy", she said, "everyone wants to know how Derek is doing, and I want to say: 'he's doing great!' Because I so want to give them a happy ending."
Since contracting Covid, Derek has suffered from several complications including brain inflammation and damage to the lungs, kidneys, heart and liver.
"The doctors believe that there will be a trajectory but that it will be very slow."
"Derek will still sleep for 20 hours a day, for example."
Derek receives round-the-clock care after returning to his family home and, although he is able to communicate, Kate has realised that he is unable to communicate as he did before contracting coronavirus.
Applauding her two children's "bravery", Kate also confessed she had not cried over the ordeal, admitting she is not ready to talk to a therapist for fear of "opening the floodgates."
On September 9, 2021, Kate choked back the tears as she was honoured for her documentary on husband Derek Draper’s gruelling battle with Covid.
The Good Morning Britain presenter got a standing ovation at the National Television Awards for Finding Derek.
Wiping away tears, she said: “Thank you so much for voting. I wonder if the reason you did because our story is your story.
“We’ve all been touched by the pandemic. Whether it’s livelihood, mental health, all the other extraordinary documentaries which have been highlighted and nominated tonight, they have also been affected by the pandemic.”
Back in March 2021 Kate's documentary Finding Derek aired on ITV.
In the film Kate was seen breaking down in tears as Derek spoke for the first time after coming out of a coma.
In heartbreaking scenes, the Good Morning Britain presenter revealed how emotional it was to see such progress after 214 days in hospital.
Kate shared a video of herself filming her husband during a rehab session and captured the extraordinary moment.
When the doctor asked if the movement was ok, he said: “Pain”.
Speaking about the moment afterwards, Kate said: “So that is the first time I saw him mouth a word and he mouths pain, I saw it really clearly and I said ‘pain, pain’."
Unable to fight back tears, the mum-of-two said: “It makes me cry because that is a massive breakthrough- the fact his brain can communicate to his mouth to shape the word pain."
Timeline of Derek Draper's coronavirus battle
- March 30: Derek rushed to hospital after testing positive for coronavirus.
- Mid April: Derek was admitted to intensive care four days later. He entered a coma as his condition deteriorated.
- May 1: Kate shared that Derek is still unresponsive.
- May 28: The GMB presenter said that Derek is still in a coma and under the care of the NHS but that she is hopeful.
- May 31: Kate revealed she has been forced to find new ways to keep her kids strong as Derek remains critical.
- June 2: Kate is urged to "have hope" as her fans send her uplifting stories.
- June 5: Kate made an emotional appearance on GMB to tell viewers that her husband is "very very sick" but "Covid free", and that they are not sure if "he will recover".
- June 6: Kate told The Sun that Derek may be locked in a coma forever after coronavirus "attacked everything".
- June 7: Kate also revealed to The Sun that her son, Billy, 10, sleeps beside his dad's empty bed while he is in a coronavirus coma.
- June 14: Piers Morgan writes in his Daily Mail column that Kate doesn't know if Derek will ever come home.
- July 5: Kate revealed that Derek has woken from the coma and is now opening his eyes.
- July 8: Kate goes on GMB to talk about Derek being out of coma but how it is "a miracle he is still alive".
- July 13: Kate returns to GMB.
- July 14: Kate reveals she will be visiting Derek in hospital.
- July 19: Kate revealed her heartache at Derek missing their son's birthday.
- July 21: Kate revealed her husband heard her voice when nurses put GMB on for him. She also revealed that she would be visiting him for a second time.
- July 22: Kate's Global radio colleague Roman Kemp revealed that her kids are going through a "tough time".
- July 27: On GMB, Kate reveals she is "at her limit" after acar tyre blowout on the motorway. The terrifying blowout occurred when Kate was driving back to the hospital to visit Derek after taking their children on a trip to Kent.
- July 28: Kate reveals Derek is stable but hasn't improved, but that she visited him in hospital a day earlier despite her car blowout.
- July 29: Kate's Good Morning Britain colleague Alex Beresford said he has been "in awe" of her resilience.
- August 3: Kate revealed Jeremy Kyle helped take her kids Billy and Darcey to stay with ill dad Derek’s parents.
- August 4: Kate revealed how she wanted to donate her own blood to save Derek.
- August 10: Kate revealed how she desperately wants Derek to wake up.
- August 11: Kate said she will donate "liquid gold" plasma although it's too late for it to have an affect on Derek as he is no longer fighting coronavirus.
- August 13: Kate wishes husband Derek "good morning" as she tells GMB viewers he’ll be watching in hospital.
- August 17: Kate missed her slot on Good Morning Britain – though she was scheduled to have a day off.
- August 19: Kate returns to GMB after taking a few days off. – she revealed she fought back tears at a "challenging" day being separated from Derek on his 53rd birthday.
- August 20: Kate reveals she has received "abuse" about "laughing and joking" on Good Morning Britain while Derek remains in intensive care.
- September 10: Kate revealed it's a "tough day" as it's their 15th Wedding Anniversary and she cannot visit Derek.
- September 11: Kate revealed Derek was still unable to speak but she would be visiting him in hospital to celebrate their 15th wedding anniversary.
- September 25: Kate reveals it had been a "tough week" for Derek.
- September 28: Kate's ITV breakfast colleague Lorraine Kelly rips into Covid protesters saying they need to see Kate's "hell’.
- September 29: It was revealed how Derek's six-month Covid battle is now longest in the UK.
- October 1: Kate said she is tempted to show Covid rule-breakers a picture of Derek and warned "you don’t want this in your life’".
- October 30: Derek uttered his first word – "pain" after 214 days in hospital.
- November 20: Kate says she feels "physically sick" about Christmas alone without Derek.
- December 7: Kate reflected on her "missed moments" of 2020 as husband continues to battle coronavirus in hospital
- December 17: Kate fights back tears as she thanks the nurses who ‘saved husband Derek’s life’ for the first time.
- January 7, 2021: Kate reveals her kids saw sick husband Derek for the first time since March 2020 over Christmas, but lockdown means she's banned from seeing him again.
- February 11, 2021: Kate returns to GMB and reveals her heartache after being unable to see Derek since Christmas and says there’s "no end in sight".
- February 26, 2021: Dr Hilary reveals he has been supporting Kate.
- March 20, 2021: Kate said her seriously-ill husband Derek's brain is "no longer his friend".
- March 23. 2021: Kate's Finding Derek documentary airs and reveals the heartbreaking moment her husband woke up from his coma.
- April 8, 2021: Derek set to return home where he will continue to receive round-the-clock care.
- April 9, 2021: Derek is finally back in his family home in North London after over a year in hospital.
- September 9, 2021: Kate was left in tears as she accepted an NTA gong for her documentary about Derek.
- October 9, 2021: Kate claimed Derek is still sleeping 20 hours a day and is unable to communicate as he did before contracting Covid.
- October 21, 2021: Kate revealed Prince Charles is the royal who extended a helping hand amid Derek's Covid battle during the Prince's Trust Awards at St James' Palace in London.
Source: Read Full Article