Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has failed in an attempt to have driving charges adjourned to the same date as his contested hearing for indecent assault.
Mr De Goey appeared before Melbourne Magistrates Court via a video link on Tuesday, on driving charges, including driving while suspended, using a hand-held mobile phone and other offences.
Jordan De Goey celebrates a goal against Carlton last week.Credit:Getty Images
Those charges are unrelated to an allegation he indecently assaulted a woman in Kew in 2015, for which he will face a contested hearing on August 9.
On Tuesday, defence lawyer Candace Prince applied for Mr De Goey’s driving charges to be adjourned to the first day of the contested hearing.
Jordan De Goey is charged with indecent assault and driving offences.Credit:Getty Images
But after a police prosecutor told the court the road offences were “pretty straightforward driving matters” and that August was still a way off, magistrate Julie Grainger ruled Mr De Goey should return to court sooner.
Mr De Goey, 25, had the driving offences adjourned to July 8.
He sat next to his lawyer as Ms Prince told the court the footballer had not pleaded guilty to the driving matters but there was “some back and forth” negotiations continuing between the lawyers and police.
Mr De Goey is yet to formally enter a plea on the indecent assault charge but will fight the allegation at the contested hearing.
Police allege Mr De Goey indecently assaulted the woman on June 21, 2015, when he was 19 and in his first year with the Magpies. Co-accused, Jake Edginton, 25, is also charged with indecent assault and will contest the charge.
The contested hearing is scheduled to run for three days. A magistrate will determine whether the accused men are guilty or not.
Police, Collingwood and the AFL’s integrity unit investigated the alleged assault in 2018. Mr De Goey was charged by police in July last year.
Mr De Goey, who played his 100th AFL game last week, missed Collingwood’s training session on Monday and underwent a coronavirus test. The Magpies have confirmed he tested negative.
Most Viewed in National
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article