florida building collapse
Florida building collapse lawsuits already piling up
Death toll in Fla. condo collapse jumps to 46
Crews used 128 pounds of dynamite to demolish collapsed Florida condo
Young sisters tragically killed in Florida condo collapse buried together
The search at the site of a collapsed Florida condo building has switched to a recovery operation, signaling an end to attempts to find survivors.
Grieving relatives of nearly 100 people still missing in the ruins of Champlain Towers South in Surfside were given the grim news at a briefing with officials on Wednesday.
Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told the families that rescue dogs and sonar devices were taken off the pile, even as hundreds of workers continue to sift through the debris from the June 24 collapse.
“Our sole responsibility at this point is to bring closure,” Jadallah said as some family members sobbed in the background.
Officials had resisted switching the work from a search and rescue operation — focused on finding survivors — to a recovery mission to remove bodies from the rubble.
As of Wednesday morning, 46 bodies had been found and 94 were still missing.
But workers have not found any survivors after the day of the collapse.
With Post wires
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article